Thursday, August 4, 2011

nonscale victories

In the group I'm in on FB, we have a type of post we call non-scale victories.  I think it's one of the best ideas ever.  It helps us all through those times when we're not "perfect" (like say, every day.)  It keeps us from getting discouraged.  It keeps us from getting too hung up on weight and numbers.  It says, "SEE, this is making a difference!  What you do DOES matter!"  So today, since I'm on another gym lapse until school starts, I thought I'd dedicate this post to nonscale victories, some of which I've already posted on the board.

1) Stairs.  They don't hurt anymore, even going up.  I can walk them one foot each. I don't even think about them, except to marvel at how easy they are when I get to the top.
2) Public restrooms:  I'm not limited to handicapped stalls anymore.  Yep, I was so wide I couldn't "reach" in the regular ones, or my knees would hit the sides.  Not true anymore.
3) Clothes:  They're smaller, and fit better.  I've always been that dreaded "apple" shape.  Now there are more inward curves, so I don't have to buy sizes that are too big in the shoulders and hips to fit across my bust/abs.  I thank aqua aerobics for this.
4) Food.  I'm not feeling too rushed to eat breakfast anymore, because the payoff later in the day is HUGE.  Piece of cheese and fruit takes no time.  Or peanut butter and fruit.  Yeah, my kids became fruitetarians honestly.  Also, cutting down/out junk food is a great way to make room in your grocery budget for better quality proteins.    The kids will adapt.  Really.  Mine did.
5) Self perception:  It's good to feel like I can accomplish something.  It's nice to look in a mirror without squirming.  There is so much more to my mental game and how it's changed and is changing than I can fit in a single blog.

Remember, just keep dancing!

No comments:

Post a Comment